Friday 23 September 2016

Good Funeral Awards 2016




I did not start this blog to blow my own trumpet, but if you are a regular follower, you will see that my posts have been dwindling off over the summer. This is mainly due to me working on my other blog which is associated with my business.

Social Embers was founded in 2014, and this year it has been recognised at the Good Funeral Awards in London. As I both live and work in Dorchester, Dorset, then I think it is quite appropriate for me to tell you about what has been happening.

If you would like to follow my other blog, then the link is here. I am photographed in the top picture, with the lovely TV presenter Penny Smith who was presenting the awards. I was presented with 2 certificates of comendation for my work, as I had been nominated in 2 categories: The Best Internet Bereavement Resource and The Most Significant Contribution to the Understanding of Death.

I was very honoured to collect an overall prize on behalf of Claret Catering, who won in the category: Best Funeral Caterer. I know Dawn who runs this business, and it was a pleasure to represent her at the awards.


The event was held at the Porchester Hall in London on the 8th September 2016 and I was accompanied to the event by my husband Richard. We were a little unsure about what to expect from the event, but it certainly was one to remember. Here is an excellent report that was written for The Independent newspaper by Christopher Hooton, that you can read if you want to know more.

And here is the cake!

This is what we ate:


We met some really wonderful people that day, including many from Dorset, even the Rector of Dorchester: Revd Canon Thomas Woodhouse, who was very surprised to see Richard!

I spoke to Joanna Vassie, another winner who owns the Higher Ground Meadow burial ground at Corscombe in Dorset. Her work in providing a natural alternative to a traditional cemetery was recognised.

I could go on about all the interesting people that I met at the awards, but I have more work to do!

Social Embers is a Community Interest Company and our work continues to evolve in death and technology related issues. You can stay informed about all our latest projects by subscribing to our weekly newsletter,  please  use the sign up box below to register your e-mail address:

Subscribe to our mailing list:

* indicates required




No comments:

Post a Comment