Monday 27 July 2015

Dorchester Library

Dorchester's library is an excellent community resource, not just for reading but for accessing many different forms of information, education, and leisure activities. My daughter has been volunteering as a helper for the summer reading challenge. Children aged 12 and under are invited to take part, and are offered stickers and medals as incentives. I visited the library myself this morning and saw many enthusiastic young readers heading towards the very well stocked children's section.



I had a reserved item to collect. Recently I have taken advantage of the digital audio book loan, using the Overdrive app on my i-phone. The service has improved since I first started using it some years ago, and now offers a far better selection of titles. I was able to download several audio books to take away with me whilst travelling.

I was extremely surprised however to learn that the free dance class offered to children age 7-12 was not well attended this morning. I was always very glad of any quality supervised activity for my children when they were younger, and often paid for them to attend classes through the summer holidays.



Dorchester Police also have a contact point at the library on Mondays and Thursdays from 10am until 2pm, and offer services such as free bike marking events.

I shall be supporting the Dorchester BID by doing a few ambassador shifts throughout August, it is good to hear from visitors how welcome they feel when visiting the town. There is another free activity organised for young people this summer. The Super Sleuth quiz is good fun for the family. An entry form can be collected from the Tourist Information Centre in Trinity Street, the quiz involves photo clues around the streets of Dorchester.

No comments:

Post a Comment